WEEKLY DEALS

Catalogs

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Big Shot Project: Scallop Envelope Box


This month I was challenged by my team to create a 3-D project. I NEVER make 3-D projects unless I'm in a class that is making them. I love them but for some reason I don't seem to make them on my own. Last month I saw some projects using Big Shot dies for purposes other than intended. The only Big Shot die I currently own is the scallop envelope die. I googled and found that I could make a box with the die! How awesome!!! I only made envelopes with this die and I love them but I was even happier to discover another use for this die.


These envelopes measure about 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 which is perfect for a 2x3 sized note inside. They are very cute and the detail along the scallop edge adds a nice touch. Using the Big Shot you have an envelope in seconds - pre-scored and cut. All you have to do is add some adhesive to the flaps of the envelope and secure closed. I also like to run some 2-way glue where the envelope seals. For anyone that doesn't know, 2-way glue is a permanent adhesive when used wet. But if you apply it and let it dry, it becomes tacky and is a temporary adhesive - perfect for these envelopes!

To make the box I usually will take a 12x12 sheet of cardstock and cut it into (4) 6x6 pages. I prefer to use cardstock instead of DSP since the cardstock is sturdier. If you wanted, you could run DSP (Designer Series Paper) and adhere to the envelopes before assembling the box. This die works best running one page at a time through the Big Shot but 4 pieces of paper can be run through in less than a minute easily.

Then you just need to attach the flaps of the envelope end to end. The best adhesive for this would be Sticky Strip but glue dots will work well too. I wouldn't recommend SNAIL for this as there is too much bulk for the SNAIL to effectively hold everything together. Secure the bottom of the box and you are done!
You can add extra touches of course. I added ribbon for a handle or you could make a paper handle. I attached 2 grommets to the sides of the box and ran my ribbon through it but there are several methods to attach a ribbon or paper handle using sticky strip, staples, slotted punch - get creative! I cut a small piece of DSP (I think 1 1/2x3 and ran it through the Big Shot on top of the envelope flap to decorate the envelope flap.

No comments:

Post a Comment