WEEKLY DEALS

Catalogs

Friday, April 20, 2012

Happy Birthday Hailey!! (and how to make scallop circle flowers)




My daughter, Hailey, turned 9 yesterday - the last year before double digits!! Tonight is her sleepover and Saturday we will be roller skating! I made this card for her and I think it's totally her. I used smooch spritz on the Blushing Bride flower and it added a cool sparkle that I didn't expect! Unfortunately it's too hard for me to capture in a photo - you just have to try it to see for yourself.

I really really like this Twitterpated Designer Series Paper and will be using this color combination long after the paper retires, which is April 30 (by the way)! The colors used in the card are Blushing Bride, Baja Breeze, and Riding Hood Red.

Supplies used:
Stamps: Happiest Birthday Wishes (hostess set until May 31, 2012)
Ink: Riding Hood Red
Paper:  Blushing Bride, Baja Breeze, Riding Hood Red, Twitterpated DSP
Accessories: Riding Hood Red 3/8" Pleated Ribbon, Adorning Accents Edgelits, Adorning Accents embossing folders, 3/16" Brads - subtles collection, 1 1/4" square punch




Directions for making a scallop circle flower:
I punched 3 flowers with my scallop circle punch (you could do more depending on how full/firm you would want your flower), and stressed the paper (aka breaking up the fibers in the paper) by running it through my crimper tool several times until I could see the paper start to separate around the edges. Then I pulled the paper apart into 2 layers. If I had any areas that were difficult to pull apart I curled the paper over my bone folder to continue breaking up the paper fibers.

So now I have 6 scallop circles. I laid them out on my simply scored (just so  I would have a flat surface and move them around later if needed) and spritzed them with water. Then I picked up each one and crumpled it into a ball - picture a spit ball if you will. I walked away and let them dry. You could use your heat tool to dry them but I had time and other things to do...so I walked away. 

Once they are dry open them up flat and lay them out on a scrap piece of copy paper. I found the 8.5x11 sheet of paper to be just a bit too small so I would recommend a brown paper bag, the shipping paper from your Stampin' Up! order, or the inside of a box for  this next step. After your flowers are laid out, spray your Blushing Bride smooch spritz as heavy or light as you want. Mine were about 50% covered in some form of the mist. It dries pretty quickly but I waited about 15 minutes before coming back and turning them over and spraying the back sides too. 

After they are dry, put them all together in a pile, pierce the middle with your Paper Piercing tool, and insert a brad to hold them all together. You really won't see the brad so it doesn't matter if if matches or not. Then you are going to scrunch up each layer toward the middle so your flower looks like a flower! I also added a small circle of punched card stock to the bottom to make it easier to adhere to the project - any scrap will do! I used Tombow Multipurpose Glue to adhere to my card.

I wish I would have taken better pictures of the process but I didn't think about it.....next time!!

If you have any questions or need help to complete your next project - let me know! If you are local to the Carthage, TN area check out my calender of events for upcoming classes - I would love to have you at my craft table!

P.S. - WISH ME LUCK TONIGHT!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment