WEEKLY DEALS

Catalogs

Sunday, January 29, 2012

January SFYTT (and a Gathered Ribbon tutorial!)


I've been trying to be more creative and try different sketches and create my own work and CASE (Copy And Share Everything) less. One sketch site I found is called Sketch For You To Try 2012 (SFYTT). I found this sketch last year and they offer real prizes but in order to eligible for their prizes you have to participate in their sketches each month of the calendar year - so I waited until January to start with their sketch challenges. 

January's Sketch:

This sketch looked easy enough but once I started it seemed harder than I anticipated. I had one thing in my mind and then as I started to put it together I realized I wasn't following the sketch very well, so I switched gears. Here's my submission:


I'm not sure how much I like this. I love the Just Add Cake Designer Paper but I'm hoping that as I continue to do these sketches I will improve my creative work. 

I thought I would take this opportunity to also show you how to make the ruffled/gathered ribbon as I did above. I used Stampin' Up's 1/2" Seam Binding Ribbon and cut about 3 times the length of the area I want to cover. The length of the card is 5 1/2 inches so I cut 15 inches of seam binding ribbon. Then I pulled off some of the end of the ribbon so the threads that create the ribbon going the opposite direction were exposed and raw.


Then I pulled about 2-3 threads from the center of the ribbon. I pulled the threads and at the same time pulled the rest of the ribbon down a little bit at a time. Keep pulling the threads and pulling the ribbon down. Here I pulled the threads maybe 2-3 times.


Now the important thing to remember is to stop about half way through. If you continue to pull the threads all the way to the other end of the ribbon you will end up pulling the threads entirely out and your gathers will be gone! So about halfway through start at the other end and do the same thing you did for the first end. When you are done you will end up with a twisted strip of gathered ribbon. Don't worry about untwisting it yet.


To attach it you will want to use sticky strip. Lay it down the length of the area you want the ribbon. Remove the red strip on top and place - not push - the ribbon onto the sticky strip. If you push too hard the ribbon ruffles will flatten! Untwist the ribbon as you continue to place the ribbon onto the sticky strip. When you are done placing the ribbon cut off the ends to clean it up. Easy Peasy right!

As fun as this technique can be Stampin' Up has come up with a pleated ruffled ribbon you can use that is just as beautiful! It comes in 4 colors (Pear Pizzazz, Blushing Bride, Riding Hood Red, and Baja Breeze) and is only available until April 30, 2012. Go to my online store to check it out!

I would love to hear your thoughts on this card. What would you have done differently?

Here are the supplies used for this project:



Start your own business or just get a discount for your hobby! Save $50 on a starter kit. Pay only $125 for $340 worth of product. There is NO OBLIGATION to do anything further! If you would like to start your own business you can sign up online but I would love to talk with you and answer any questions you may have.

24/7 Shopping from your seat - not from your feet! You can shop my store in your pajamas. It's time to Sale-A-Brate! Choose free product for every $50 in purchases. There is exclusive product made just for Sale-A-Bration and there are some favorites from the 2011-12 Idea Book & Catalog. Click here to see what you can choose as your reward for being such a great customer!

Host a workshop! When you invite a few friends and have a stampin' party you can earn free product from your party sales! During Sale-A-Bration you also get a free exclusive shopping tote or a Sale-A-Bration exclusive hostess bundle! You can also join or start a stamping club where everyone commits to an equal minimum monthly purchase and everyone takes turns being the hostess. Check out my calendar of events or call me to schedule your workshop. I can also do long distance workshops!


*** Are you thinking of attending the Stampin' Up! 2012 Annual Convention July 18-July 21? Do you have your room reserved yet? Let me share a special deal with you!!



Can't wait to see you there!!!


HAPPY STAMPIN!
Pin It









No comments:

Post a Comment